Thursday, June 16, 2011

A flash of inspiration from the sick bed.

A beautiful swan I photoed in Switzerland.  Travel is on the agenda.
Yesterday I had plenty of time to think as I writhed about on my sick bed.
I spend 98% of my time being mother, housewife and working woman and spend very little time doing things that make my heart sing.  In fact I can't remember the last time my heart belted out a tune .  So much of my day is taken up with what needs to be done, be it at home or at work.
I realised I must change.  I need to take some time for myself so I can then be happy with time spent on my most important job - being a mum.
I picked up a book I fell in love with recently but have taken ages to read because I'm always too busy doing things that I think are important - but will only need doing again tomorrow (housework being the number one soul killer here).  It spoke of having a hobby and learning a language ( Italian being the example) and I took it as a sign.  I saw the phrase "La Bella Lingua" (the beautiful language) in the book and by chance I happen to have another book by that name.  It's about the Italian language, so  I started it last night when the aching subsided enough.  There's 2 things I love right there - reading and learning Italian.  I am in love with all things Italian (and French) and am cross with myself for letting the unimportant things get in the way of my passion.
Another thing I love is knitting.  My mother taught me when I was a girl and I used to make the loveliest garments.  I have a basket full of patterns and a list of requests from my family so I picked up the needles today and started on some gloves.
Tonight I looked at the box of old documents and photos I gathered when I started researching my family tree.  I am going to finally put them in order.
There are other things that make my heart sing.  Drawing, traveling, dancing, I could go on.  Things I've started but never did anything with.  However I don't want to overdo things and overload myself.  So I'll start with the Italian study, knitting, and family tree. 
I feel a tune coming on.................................

2 comments:

  1. I think its very important to have a little time to oneself. You can rediscover yourself and I personally believe that makes you a better, more content, happier person.
    I hope that you are able to learn Italian, knit lots, and work on the family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much Indie. Or should I say Grazie mille :) I'm a more contented person already and my family has noticed. Thank you for stopping by and I'm very much looking forward to your next recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I do appreciate each and every one and will do my best to reply. I do apologise for the comment moderation I've been forced to put into place thanks to Mr Dark's spamming. It was not so much the spamming that bothered me - it was his appalling grammar.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails